Gimme Shelter

Image

shelter%20door%20100.jpg

Encounter Conditions

Dusty Clipboard equipped
Passing Hunting Fire (various ways)

Initial Text

You make your way through the ash and dust to a door set into the side of a sturdy building. It's the only thing from here to the horizon, representing a solitary chance to survive in a world of dust.

As you approach, a voice booms "No Entry! Door's Closed!" from everywhere and nowhere.

Summary of Choices

  1. Beg for entry - gain 3 XP Perception, or in various disguises: gain 20 Survival Bulwark
  2. Hammer at the door - gain 4 XP Strength, or with hammer weapon: gain 3 XP Strength*, or with sledgehammer weapon: gain 20 Survival Bulwark
  3. Abandon it - gain 6 XP Will*

Choice Text and Results

Beg for entry

The voice says "Sorry, door's already closed. Can't help you out. Sorry."

There isn't a lot of confidence behind his words and it sounds like he's addressing himself, but the door doesn't open.

You've earned 3 XP in Perception

(Can repeat this multiple times)

Or, in a doctor outfit:

You're not sure where the voice can see you from, but you hear "you look pretty darn young for a doctor, but I suppose we don't have a lot of options."

After an agonizing wait, the door swings open, revealing a large chamber with beds and piles of supplies. The dust swirls beneath your feet, paving a way into the chamber beyond.

You've gained 20 duration of Survival Bulwark.

(Leads to Sheltered Woman encounter a few turns later)

Or, in a containment suit:

You're not sure where the voice can see you from, but you hear "well, heck, it certainly looks like someone knew to dress for the occasion."

After an agonizing wait, the door swings open, revealing a large chamber with beds and piles of supplies. The dust swirls beneath your feet, paving a way into the chamber beyond.

You've gained 20 duration of Survival Bulwark.

(Leads to Sheltered Woman encounter a few turns later)

Or, with a dove plaque installed:

You're not sure where the voice can see you from, but you hear "you some sort of peacekeeper? You look pretty damn young, but we could sure use some peace in here."

After an agonizing wait, the door swings open, revealing a large chamber with beds and piles of supplies. The dust swirls beneath your feet, paving a way into the chamber beyond.

You've gained 20 duration of Survival Bulwark.

(Leads to Sheltered Woman encounter a few turns later)

Hammer at the door

You pound at the surface of the door with your fists, leaving streaks of blood across its surface. But no one responds.

You've earned 4 XP in Strength

(Can repeat this multiple times)

Or, with a Hammer Weapon equipped:

You beat on the door with your hammer, creating an awful racket but not causing any visible damage to its surface.

You've earned 3 XP in Strength

(Stops all dusty clipboard encounters for the day?)

Or, with a Sledgehammer Weapon equipped:

You pound at the surface of the door with your sledge, leaving a noticeable dent each time. The voice relents after the third strike. "Fine, fine. Just one second. Hold up, hold up, darlin'. Didn't think you'd really start going after things with that hammer."

After an agonizing wait, the door swings open, revealing a large chamber with beds and piles of supplies. The dust swirls beneath your feet, paving a way into the chamber beyond.

You've gained 20 duration of Survival Bulwark.

(Leads to Sheltered Woman encounter a few turns later)

Abandon it

dreamingdusteye100.jpg

You wander out into the wastes, your feet grinding the ash and dust into the ground. Something watches down on you from the distance, a presence that feels as though it's judging you. Its gaze wears down on you as you fade from consciousness.

The world seems clearer, bereft of the cloud of dust lingering at its edges.

You've earned 6 XP in Will

(Stops all dusty clipboard encounters for the day)

Notes

This encounter does not consume energy.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License